30 October 2010

Another Short Trip

Got some new gear and decided to try it out. Took my new Cabela's Scout Pack and it worked perfectly. I was able to carry everything I needed and still had room to spare. It rode good and was very comfortable. Total weight of my pack was 20 pounds. The high temperature today was 27 degrees, but as usual my Cabela's Berber Fleece kept me nice and toasty. I opted to make a shelter using my new tarp. It's a 4'x8' green tarp I got from Sportsman's and it worked great. Staked the corners and added pine boughs to lay on. I also took a wool blanket and my 20 degree REI sleeping bag, which kept me warm all night. I decided to make fire using a few different methods as well. I used a magnesium bar and then a firesteel. I also used a 12 volt battery with some steel wool to make fire. They all worked very well. This time of year it gets dark around 6:30 so by 8 pm I was sacked out. The sun rose about 9 am so I broke camp and headed out. It was another successful trip in the Alaskan Bush.

Another new item I took was a Pocket Rocket Stove made by Mountain Safety Research. It worked very well for heating up water and let off a surprising amount of heat too.
Sunset over Six Mile Lake
Lower Six Mile Lake
Heading to my camp site
Overlooking the lake
One of two Bald Eagles I seen. They seemed to be following me.
Looking at the Chugach Range.












No comments:

Post a Comment