02 October 2010

Making a Kydex Holster

After buying my new conceal carry gun, Taurus PT709 "Slim", I needed a good holster. I decided to make my own since I couldn't find one I liked. The material is called Kydex, which is an acrylic-polyvinyl chloride alloy. I bought a 12"x24" sheet for $10 online and only used 1/3 of that. Here is the process and final product.

First thing I did was made a paper template. Then I transferred that to the kydex and cut it out using tin snips.

Then I heated up the kydex in the oven at 325 degrees for 5 minutes.



After the kydex became workable I wrapped it around my pistol and stuck it in my press. The press I made using foam, 3/4" plywood and 2 clamps.



After being in the press for 3 minutes this is what it looked like.



I then drilled the holes for the rivets and inserted those using my eyelet setters. Placement of the rivets is very important, because they determine how snug the holster fits the gun. I also folded the belt loop over using a heat gun.



Once the rivets were installed I used a heat gun to fine tune the fit and sanded the edges clean. This is the final shape of my holster.


It works really well and is very comfortable. It can be used inside or outside the belt and is virtually unnoticeable.














No comments:

Post a Comment